It's still summer....






Peppers, peppers, peppers!  Big sweet red bells, red shepherds, sweet yellows, large orange bells, green bells, sweet chocolate peppers, pimentos, jalapenos, hot banana....ahhhh, then canning, grilling, roasting, pan frying....I love peppers!!! Was able to spend a great day with my mom canning a beautiful array of sweet peppers....  I have sooo many farm stories and crops to talk about!  We have sweet potatoes (oh a blog for another day!!) I've been busy at the hall preserving the seasons in between it all as well....  Sweet Corn, in the freezer.  Peppers, in the freezer.  (Frozen peppers will be used later on within our vegetarian cabbage rolls.) The sweet corn was lovingly preserved this year at the hall where I make my perogies with the help of my awesome crew of women. We've managed to put a fair amount away so that I may sell some frozen goodness this winter and also heat and serve warm at various winter markets as a nice 'taste of summer' when the snow is flying.  There is soo much humor along with learning during each kitchen event with the ladies.....I even got to witness a full blown argument about getting 70 year old (I'm NOT joking 70 year old) aprons their crisp white colour again!!! LOLOLOL, they are hilarious!  We were able to introduce Ben's mom, the farm's matriarch Sophie Sosnicki, to the Dufferin Grove market last week! It was a great time for all!  She kept busy re-loading the tables, meeting customers and watching people smile and purchase the goods from our farms' land that she helped to grown and grade.  She was a bit shaky on the highways, but loved the market!  We'll make this an annual thing for her....   Also this season everyone should be ROASTING red peppers....- almost as good a roasting tomatoes!  Oh and our field tomatoes are finished once again...crap blight - but as our friend Paul demonstrates the 'covered field' tomatoes are thriving!!! I will have my smiling face at market with bushels of heirloom tomatoes for a long while yet!!!!!  My pup Panzer is one of the smartest little dogs I've ever had!  Not demanding, not whiny or jumpy - just always quiet, sitting and staring into your eyes waiting to learn more and more and more!  The Big Carrot is hosting their first ever "National Organic Week" and have asked us to provide some farm photos - so that will something to include in the blog coming up as well.  I will also take the time to blog with recipes shortly as well....Have the big "Evergreen" crew heading to the farm next week for a big luncheon and tour, which will also warrant a great blog!  Big plans to get the 30+ city folk 'shucking' our garlic for planting in October!  I will catch up with some great blogs shortly....Enjoy the pics and thanks for your interest in our farm!

Popular posts from this blog

Cheesy Heirloom Tomato Bruschetta

September is Pepper month!

TIME TO ORDER OUR ORGANIC PEROGIES & CABBAGE ROLLS!!