All about our Holiday Food!

The farm is awash in a nice snow cover, but luckily we have missed the massive snow squalls other county's have received.  This means my perogie crew had no trouble driving in from all the back roads and neighboring towns.  We hit the kitchen both Monday and Tuesday of this week and have created enough holiday food now for the markets!  A quick photo blog before I discuss NEW PREPARED FOODS being made! Time is flying and we are busy, busy, busy and I cannot believe the year is almost at an end!!
 Above Mary and Ben rolling the dough and cutting the circles for the Perogies.....
Above Anne making the Potato Cheddar Perogies....
Above Boiling the Perogies....
Above Cooling the Perogies.....
My favorite machine, Mr. Hobart nicely put away after all it's service making dough and mashing potatoes....I love the Ukrainian Cloths the women have it wear when not in use!  This machine is respected - once you've made dough and mashed potatoes by hands for years, this becomes a welcome friend in the kitchen!!
Ok, ok, before I have to disappear into the barn to grade today for tomorrow's market a quick introduction to some New Foods!!  I've had my vegan friend sample and give me critical feed back, so my tweaks have been made and production is set to begin! 
Vegan Perogies
Yes, it has been done and they are GOOD! We use Unbleached Organic White Flour, Organic Sunflower Oil, Sea Salt, Apple Sauce (grandma suggested I try this in lieu of eggs...interesting..), Yellow Fleshed Potatoes, lots of Onions rendered down Sweet! We are still working on a great topper, as regular perogies are awesome with bacon, butter & sour cream, so we are working on a flavourful vegan topping! The apple sauce gives a nice aroma that mingles well with the sweet onions and potatoes.  Excellent lightly pan fried with olive oil.
Vegan Cabbage Rolls
Now these are awesome!!  Yes Beef and Pork are our traditional, but I can't believe the excellent flavours and how healthy these guys are!!  I use our own Organic Cabbage, Tomato Sauce as per usual.  The filling is Long Grain Brown Rice, rendered down Onions until they are Sweet in Organic Sunflower Oil, our own Green Peppers & Sweet Red Peppers (I froze at the hall this past summer ;), Ground Flax Seed, lots of Garlic & Sea Salt & Pepper.....They are fully roasted and just need to be heated until piping hot!  They are filling and delicious! I don't miss the meat - and that is rare! My vegan friend had never had a cabbage roll before and she loved them!  Look for these item in abundance when I have more time after the holidays during January and February!


Popular posts from this blog

Cheesy Heirloom Tomato Bruschetta

September is Pepper month!

TIME TO ORDER OUR ORGANIC PEROGIES & CABBAGE ROLLS!!