Viva Italia Romas for sauce are in season!

It is now the season to do your freezing, canning, saucing of tomatoes!  We'll be bringing cases of our 'Viva Italia' Roma variety to all markets!  If you need more than a couple cases I suggest you order by email jb@sosnickiorganics.com.  These Viva's have thick walls and excellent flavour. I am going to roast and can a lot of tomatoes this season, but these stand alone in my sauce category.  There is nothing like the smell of this sauce in your home during cold winter days!  We do not have a 'perfect' tomato crop, as there is some blight out there and a lot of cracks and splitting due to weather stress , but it is certainly not a bust like the last few years.  I am hoping we will have enough for everyone.
To our early bird customers that ordered weeks ago - Thank You for being patient!  We've had a very stressful time as our main Mexican worker suffered a medical emergency and is currently still hospitalized, so we are struggling to get back on track.  We are happy to report that Domingo is doing well and will recover completely! In the meantime we are training a transfer employee which is always fun this time of year. (note the sarcasm) We have been very, very busy indeed! 
Recipe time: Organic Penne Pasta with Black Cherry Heirlooms, Shiitakes and Parmigiano Reggiano
So simple and so delicious! I buy all types or organic pasta now. Some of my favourites are the wholegrain spelt varieties. I cook my pasta tender in Olive Oil and Sea Salt and drain.  I  chop Striped German and half Black Cherry Heirloom Tomatoes and toss with Sea Salt while the pasta is cooking.  (I find that just a bit of salt intensifies the tomato flavors). I fill up my great grandma's huge wooden cutting board with Shiitake Mushrooms, a bit of Sweet Onion and chop and then saute with some olive oil.  I drain my pasta, toss in the salted tomatoes with their juice, all the mushrooms and sweet onion. Season to taste (Basil is exceptional and should not be forgotten! And fresh ground pepper!) Last but not least once I've plated I add a generous amount of Parmigiano Reggiano shredded on top. The sweetness of the Heirloom Tomatoes is what stands out in this dish.  So simple and leftovers are to die for!  We've been known to enjoy for breakfast! 

Popular posts from this blog

Cheesy Heirloom Tomato Bruschetta

September is Pepper month!

TIME TO ORDER OUR ORGANIC PEROGIES & CABBAGE ROLLS!!