Fall Crops Update...........






























What a year! With the cool temperatures and all the rain, it didn't even seem like summer arrived! I think it was the fact that I had no field tomatoes that still throws me for a loop at least weekly. With September arriving tomorrow, it is time to discuss our fall crops. All is looking pretty good I must say! Financially we are taking a hit by not being able to provide sweet corn, melons and tomatoes, BUT since we grow a diverse group of crops, the others will pull us through!! Currently we are offering some neat looking new varieties of zucchini at market - "Key Largos" & "Patty-Pan". Also fresh dug spuds, cabbages, onions, beets galore, peppers, herbs, swiss chard, carrots, greenhouse heirlooms, fresh cut cabbages & tons of onions and I'm probably forgetting a few items...We have more green beans and broccoli beginning shortly. We will also have a fine selection of squash and pie pumpkins! My stepdaughter and I planted these by hand in July (purposely skipping planting on the crappy sandy knoll) so we have big, beautiful plants producing some nice looking fall pumpkins and squash! In picture #5 here you can see our gorgeous celery! Beside it is root celery (celariac - great to boil and mash with potatoes! Or dice and roast!) and in the distance leeks, brussel spouts (I'll blog about these cool little guys once they get bigger!) and a whole ton of cabbage (pics #1 & #2). I took this pics last Thursday and today as FINALLY we were able to weed and cultivate! Some fields were nasty with weeds and too embarassing to take photos of! Trust me, our organic farm get messy too, I'm just selective with my photography!! LOLOLOL!!! (for example take a look at pic # 4. To the far right of that photograph IS home to basil...can you see the basil? I can't hardly FIND it nevermind!!! Weeds are growing fast as hell this year....) It is sometimes very hard to keep up, but we always try our hardest, as I don't need these buggers producing more and more seed......Anyhow, the fall harvest looks plentiful! I'll blog about baby beets and carrots shortly....BTW, summer is hardly over - just beginning in my books...

Popular posts from this blog

Cheesy Heirloom Tomato Bruschetta

September is Pepper month!

TIME TO ORDER OUR ORGANIC PEROGIES & CABBAGE ROLLS!!