Screw Chip Dip - Roasted Beet Hummus is here!

I've eaten enough beets lately I swear I'm on a natural beet high!  I love beets, and this recipe is to die for! So Ben and I cruised down to Kensington Market last week to deliver some produce to a great guy named 'Pot's.  He has this groovy little store called "For Life Natural Foods".  We like to buy some organic kefir and other groceries there and Pots gave us a 'beet hummus' to try out.  I grimaced at it but the expression on Pots face about how good it actually was made me curious.  I could not stop eating it!  I altered the recipe a bit adding more garlic and some avocado.  My vegan friend Kera loves it, so I won't be altering the recipe any time soon!  It's been a pleasure to spread the word at market, so for those who asked, here's the recipe:
ROASTED BEET HUMMUS
1 quart Sosnicki's Red Kestrel Organic Beets
4 cloves Sosnicki's Organic Garlic, Minced.
1 Ripe, Creamy Avocado
4 Heaping Tablespoons Tahini
1 small Lemon and lots of zest
Sea Salt to taste
Chili Powder to taste
2 Tablespoons freshly Ground Flax Seed
(and any other spices YOU see fit!  Play!)
~Snip the rat tail off the beets and roast in the oven in a casserole dish with a bit of water at 350 until fork tender.  Usually 45 mins using a convection setting. 
~Cover beets with towel to 'sweat' and loosen the skins.  Peel with a knife.
~Refrigerate over night to make the beets nice and cold. 
~Next day add the beets and all the other ingredients into your food processor.  My ol' Cuisinart works awesome with the big blade. As one of my fav chefs Jamie Oliver would say:  "Wazz it up" until it's nice and creamy with a very familiar hummus like consitency!  
Eat it with a plain vessel to enjoy the flavour!  I bought some Quinoa toast crackers that were a perfect pairing when I was at the Big Carrot. Oh hell, dip your kale chips in it too!!!!  Enjoy.  This recipe is perfect for the holiday season a head!  

Popular posts from this blog

Cheesy Heirloom Tomato Bruschetta

September is Pepper month!

TIME TO ORDER OUR ORGANIC PEROGIES & CABBAGE ROLLS!!