Snow Day on the farm!

While Sadie naps the paperwork continues and I finalize seedling orders and order more seeds. Did I ever mention how I lothe being attached to a desk? It is my least favourite job ev-er.  And though I never let cabin fever set in around here, I can't take Sadie out on these very cold days. Today was an exception for a quick outing, however! And we had fun! 
The year is exceptionally cold and snowy. Usually by this time of year we are ready to almost fire the middle greenhouse. Not this year. It would cost a fortune to heat the old glass cold frames in these frigid temperatures. So we wait. And trim cabbage. And grade potatoes and onions. And more cabbage. I am not good at waiting and to me a successful season begins with robust, healthy large plants. I have this internal spring clock that is urging me to get ready to seed! If we have to postpone early seeding - then look out! Come March I will be a seeding demon out there! Lololol And that my friends is no lie. I will be in high gear!
Above: The chilly oil tank waiting to be filled :(  It's way to cold to do repairs like glass fixing, wall patches. I walked through the houses yesterday on my way to the barn and it's dark inside with snow covering the glass roof. Time to head for the barn, sit by the wood stove, have a tea and trim more cabbage! We also have garlic and celeriac as well as an abundance of potatoes yet. So storage crop work is never done. What makes me feel spring-like are the tomatoes growing in the warm room under grow lights. I like to go and brush them and smell tomatoes!
Above: Lady Bug and Sadie interacting. They are becoming really great friends. She's our resident wooly mammoth! We bring her carrots and apples from storage (that unfortunately we are not selling, just harbouring for the family).  On a carrot note, today I juiced carrots with lemon straight up. It was SO refreshing!  First time adding lemon and it will become a mainstay in my juices now! So stay warm everyone and as soon as we get growing I'll post and share :)) Oh, February is heart month, so here's a link I'd like to share: Cholesterol - a Nutrient!

Popular posts from this blog

Cheesy Heirloom Tomato Bruschetta

September is Pepper month!

TIME TO ORDER OUR ORGANIC PEROGIES & CABBAGE ROLLS!!