The beginning of inspirational winter eating....

I am absolutely inspired most days by my surroundings and what I can create with what we produce on the farm. Currently we do not sell our farm`s fresh eggs at market, but yet another project to look into. Making the time to basket my eggs and head to a grading station never seems to make it into my schedule!  I can have bragging rights though, as the following pictures are of my roosters, hens, my eggs and the most yellow yolks (just call them orange!) because of their healthy diet!
It was chaos around the farm this morning as I went into the barn before dawn to catch the new, free range birds to clip wings and put in the outside pen with the others.  Snow is coming, it`s better for them to get used to the coop area. Also, I seem to have a 5 month old German Shepherd with a taste for chicken! Fresh, organic, free range eggs in your diet is such a good thing! Your own meat birds are good too! And I can`t wait to sample the first of our own rabbit meat.  I never seem to get sick of eggs or meat but storage vegetables....man, I`m already sort of dreaming for spring!  I`m making a mission this winter to create different types of foods and share recipes (specifically within market newletters) to combat what can turn into 'boring storage crop winter eating'.  After long discussions with market customers and learning about different shows and chefs I have found one I am completely in love with:  Jamie Oliver and his show 'Jamie at Home'. Though I miss almost all the recipes on TV, I get them online and have to share one today. This is simple, nutritious, yummy, proper way to eat!  I love how his kitchen is simple and pretty tiny, he's got a very rustic garden and an even more rustic gardener that grows his ingredients for him.  He often takes the time to meet with and learn from the producers of the ingredients within his recipes, such as a hunter who caught his fresh rabbits.  I am very relieved to see so many cooking shows now inspiring women to feed their families properly!  Out with the processed boxed, convenience foods and in with lots of fresh veg and real food!  There is just no more time for excuses!  I love how it is becoming mainstream now...  This is very, very exciting...
I'm sharing a picture of our storage beets and carrots atop my great grandmothers cutting board.  These crops will definitely be available this winter at most markets.  Within his episode entitled: 'Winter Salads' I found this gem. Go ahead and try Jamie`s Roast Carrot and Avocado Salad with Orange and Lemon Dressing It is delicious, nutritious and sooo colourful! I'm also inspired at market each week.  I never leave Toronto without basic staples: Olive Oil, Real Good Cheeses, MUSHROOMS.......soo many kinds....
 Well, there is just too much good stuff at market.  Time for me to grab my camera and take it along with me for an 'inspirational market journey' and showcase some of my fellow vendors this winter.  I feed them, they feed me.  It's such a win-win for everyone!  Ali needs some bulk potatoes, she in turn gives me some Walnut Bread.....
Fresh Ginger and Garlic are also staples within my kitchen. Simply cooking pieces of ginger rendering it down into a simple spicy tea makes the house smell awesome and gives your taste buds a kick! It now also reminds me of my market friend Toshimi, who often drinks hot Ginger on cold Saturday mornings at market!  Garlic, oh I love you!  Here comes winter, here comes fresh garlic & cooked garlic a plenty!  Stay tuned for some great, great winter blogging and lots of recipes all tried and true!!  ; )





Popular posts from this blog

Cheesy Heirloom Tomato Bruschetta

September is Pepper month!

TIME TO ORDER OUR ORGANIC PEROGIES & CABBAGE ROLLS!!